Following recent correspondence with HSE, we have taken the opportunity to review and update our operating instructions, as the health and safety of our customers, and those who use the exercisers, is paramount. We would also like to remind you that as the owner of a horse exerciser (or an employer whose staff use a horse exerciser), that it is your obligation to ensure that the exerciser is operated correctly, in a safe manner and in accordance with your own safe system of work.
- Under no circumstances must the exerciser be operated or in motion with the gate open
- No person should be inside the exerciser when it is in operation and not isolated from the mains power using a lockable isolation switch.
- No person should be inside a stationery exerciser, unless it is isolated from the mains power – apart from when loading and unloading horses.
- Before undertaking any cleaning or maintenance of the exerciser, ensure that the power is isolated – this can be done by unplugging the blue plug inside the cabinet. Steps should be taken to stop power being reconnected while anyone is inside the machine.
- Keep clear of Horse Exerciser when in operation.
If your exerciser is not already fitted with a lockable isolator, we recommend fitting a lockable isolator in close proximity to the exerciser in order to reduce the level of risk to operators. We can supply isolators and emergency stop units, which can be fitted by a qualified electrician.
Following guidance from the HSE, it is strongly recommended that a safety interlock is fitted to the gate in order to improve the safety of our machines.
In July 2021 we wrote to existing customers, whose details are held on our database. An updated set of operating instructions and a new safety warning sticker were provided. It is your responsibility to place the sticker on the machine and to ensure that all users are familiar with – and understand – these operating instructions. If you have not received this communication, or you require a copy of the updated operating instructions, please contact us.
All Claydon Horse exercisers supplied after 1999 were fitted with internal gates for maintenance, if your exerciser predates this and you haven’t already had an access gate fitted, we recommend inner gates are fitted on all our walkers for ease and safety when accessing the centre area of the Horse Walker for general maintenance.
If you have your Horse Walkers serviced by our engineers it will now be required for the Horse Walker to have an inner gate fitted to comply with our safe working practices. Please contact us to discuss options and prices.
Please email email@example.com for operating instructions.